Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Thoughts For The Day~*~Language of the Heart ^*^*^*^*^ April 24, 2014


~*~A.A. Thoughts For The Day~*~
^*^*^*^*^

(\    ~~  /)
(   \ (
AA)/   )
(_   /
AA
\ _)
  /
AA\

^*^*^*^*^

Language of the Heart

"As we better use the
'language of the heart,'
our communications grow apace:
already we find ourselves in a safe passage through
all those barriers of distance and language,
of social distinctions,
nationality and creed,
that so divide the world of our time."

Bill W., AA Today, published on the occasion of AA's twenty-fifth anniversary.
The Language of the Heart, pp. 309-10

Thought to Consider . . .

I am responsible for carrying the message.
I am not responsible for anyone receiving the message.

*~*~*AACRONYMS*~*~*
HEART
Healing Enjoying And Recovering T
ogether


*~*~*~*~*^Just For Today!^*~*~*~*~*
Accountability
From "The Three Legacies of Alcoholics Anonymous":

"It was evident that here was a world-wide movement that had no direct access to its own principal service affairs. The Trustees had authority over our services; A.A. itself had no authority. The simple trusteeship had been the ideal guardian for our infancy and adolescence, but how in future years could it possibly go on functioning as it had?

"At first we had talked vaguely about a hand-picked advisory council or an elected conference of some sort. But since there was no imminent danger, no action was taken.

"Following a long plea for an elected A.A. conference and other reforms, and after having pointed out that the Trustees had all the authority there was, with no responsibility to anyone, even to Dr. Bob and me.

"I set out on the road in 1948 to sound out among the groups the possibility of an elected conference to which the Board of Trustees could eventually become accountable. Bill W."

2001 AAWS, Inc.; Alcoholics Anonymous Comes of Age, pgs. 210-11

*~*~*~*~*^Daily Reflections^*~*~*~*~*
LEARNING TO LOVE OURSELVES

Alcoholism was a lonely business, even though we were surrounded by people who loved us . . .  We were trying to find emotional security either by dominating or by being dependent upon others . . .  We still vainly tried to be secure by some unhealthy sort of domination or dependence.

AS BILL SEES IT, p.  252

When I did my personal inventory I found that I had unhealthy relationships with most people in my life -- my friends and family, for example.  I always felt isolated and lonely.  I drank to dull emotional pain.

It was through staying sober, having a good sponsor and working the Twelve Steps that I was able to build up my low self-esteem.  First the Twelve Steps taught me to become my own best friend, and then, when I was able to love myself, I could reach out and love others.

Copyright 1990 ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS WORLD SERVICES, INC.
*~*~*~*~*^As Bill Sees It^*~*~*~*~*

No Personal Power

"At first, the remedy for my personal difficulties seemed so obvious that I could not imagine any alcoholic turning the proposition down were it properly presented to him. Believing so firmly that Christ can do anything, I had the unconscious conceit to suppose that He would do everything through me--right then and in the manner I chose. After six long months, I had to admit that not a soul had surely laid hold of the Mater--not excepting myself.
"This brought me to the good healthy realization that there were plenty of situations left in the world over which I had no personal power--that if I was so ready to admit that to be the case with alcohol, so I must make the same admission with respect to much else. I would have to be still and know that He, not I, was
God."

LETTER, 1940

*~*~*~*~*^ Big Book Quote ^*~*~*~*~*

"Do not be discouraged if your prospect does not respond at once.
Search out another alcoholic and try again. You are sure to find
someone desperate enough to accept with eagerness what you offer. We find it a waste of time to keep chasing a man who cannot or will not work with you. If you leave such a person alone, he may soon become convinced that he cannot recover by himself. To spend too much time on any one situation is to deny some other alcoholic an opportunity to live and be happy."


Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, Working With Others, pg. 96
*~*~*~*^Twenty Four Hours A Day^*~*~*~*
A.A. Thought for the Day

It's been proved that we alcoholics can't get sober by our willpower. We've failed again and again. Therefore I believe there must be a Higher Power which helps me. I think of that power as the grace of God. And I pray to God every morning for the strength to stay sober today. I know that power is there because it never fails to help me. Do I believe that AA. works through the grace of God?

Meditation for the Day

Once I am "born of the spirit," that is my life's breath. Within me is the life of life, so that I can never perish. The life that down the ages has kept God's children through peril, adversity, and sorrow. I must try never to doubt or worry, but follow where the life of the spirit leads. How often, when little I know it, God goes before me to prepare the way, to soften a heart, or to overrule a resentment. As the life of the spirit grows, natural wants become less important.

Prayer for the Day

I pray that my life may become centered in God more than in sell I pray that my will may be directed toward doing His will.

Hazelden Foundation PO Box 176 Center City, MN 55012


No comments:

Post a Comment